Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Week 13 Reflection


Week 13 Reflection

          This week’s reading focused on e-learning and instructional design.  “E-learning” is a term used often my many but holds many meanings.  They start the chapter by discussing how difficult it is to define a term like e-learning because of the constant changes and updates to technology.  When discussing this class with my colleagues many comment that they would never take an online class.  Being older, they fear their lack of technological skills would keep them from being successful in an online course.  I took my first online course last year through University of Phoenix and was very nervous about not being face to face with an instructor and classmates.  Once class started and I got the hang of maneuvering around the site and saw how easy it was to ask questions and converse with both the instructor and classmates I was at ease.  I think it is great to have the option of taking classes online and have really enjoyed both of my experiences so far. 

          “Instructional technics could include any combination of on-campus lectures, computer-based training modules, online seminars, reference websites, e-books, DVDs, threaded discussions, videoconferences, weblogs, simulations, performance support systems, and numerous other elements by which learning is accomplished.” (pg. 284) This section of the chapter discusses how as new technologies are invented they can be incorporated into teaching or used as a method of teaching.  I recently took a GT (gifted and talented) class where the instructor had us present our weekly reflections or assignments using a different method each time.  I was not only introduced to great sites like glogster.edu and blabberize.com but I was able to show my knowledge in a video, poem, or online poster rather than a boring paper.  I was then able to use these new ideas in my own classroom and offer choices to my students when completing an assignment.  As a teacher, I try to hit as many learning styles as possible and I think the variety of elements used in online learning do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment