Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Week 14 Reflection

Week 14 Reflection

I have been using Web 2.0 applications in my everyday life and as teaching tools for a long time but I am just recently finding out what exactly Web 2.0 is thanks to this class.  If I had to choose my favorite applications we have been introduced to, I would pick social bookmarking and screencasting as my top two. 
Social bookmarking sites like Delicious, make finding lessons and ideas much easier.  Having input from many others benefits all; I cannot tell you how much time I have spent on google trying to find the perfect interactive site or worksheet.  Now with the use of my Delicious account, I can save my precious time.  Web 2.0 applications like this “allow multiple ways to value and sort information” which is a time saver and great way to keep track of useful sites.   I also love the fact that I am able to visit these sites I have saved from any computer and not worry about whether or not I emailed the website to myself.  Students could use social bookmarking to work on projects with group mates at their house, school, or other group member’s house.  As a teacher I could preselect websites before working on a class project so students would not waste time looking for reliable sites.  The textbook states that Web 2.0 applications “offer new opportunities for learners to take more control of their learning and access their own customized information, resources, tools, and services.”  Social bookmarking is one of these great tools that can be utilized by both the teacher and student. 
Screencasting is something I myself use when I have trouble with using a new program or even tasks like helping my husband tie a bowtie.  After being introduced to making my own screen cast, I could easily use it as an educational tool also.  Every time I take my classes to the computer lab to work on a project, complete a gizmo, or go to interactive sites I would love to have a screencast made going through the directions on log in or how to use a new program.  Students could even be given the choice to create a screencast of a project or program that they could then show to the class.  The possibilities with this application are truly endless and can add so much to our everyday lessons.  “Web 2.0 technologies enhance current and support new, more open kinds of learning and learning activities in formal education” as an educator I try to incorporate many different learning styles into my lessons and these applications are helping us reach those learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment